Uniform Possibilities

Uniform Possibilities

Thomas Benton (11) does not agree with the new bill.

Allyssa Maloney, Staff Reporter

Hold off on your plans on having a rocking outfit the first week of the new school year. Every student in South Carolina could be wearing uniforms in the 2017-2018 school year if a bill, prefiled by Rep. Cezar McKnight, is passed. If we went to Hogwarts, I would totally be down for the school uniform, but it’s not. This bill, which is called H. 3050, would require the State Department of Education to “establish and enforce a statewide mandatory dress code program requiring school uniforms be worn by all public school students while on campus or on field trips.”

McKnight says that fashion in schools has become a distraction to the majority of students. Also, he claims that we’re forcing our parents to spend money, that they don’t have, on clothes for school. This bill also requires the State Board of Education to provide assistance to families on free or reduced lunch. McKnight says, “It would be a standard uniform, but the color scheme would be dictated by the various schools,” he said. “The uniform would be khaki pants and a golf shirt, with a long-sleeve golf shirt in the winter and short sleeve in the spring.”

While the uniforms could be a good thing, they’re also very disliked by students. A 2012 peer-reviewed study by researchers at the University of Nevada at Reno found that 90% of seventh and eighth-grade public school students did not like wearing uniforms. Uniforms do take away the ‘who has what, who is wearing name brands’ kind of thing, but also take away a sense of self-individuality. Plus, a study has shown that girls actually become more judgmental of themselves because the style of uniform might not suit their body type.

There are many different pros and cons to having uniforms in public schools, but we will just have to await the outcome of this bill.