Fees, Applications, and Service Hours, Oh My!

FBLA+member+Julianna+Crawford+%2811%29+helping+set+up+for+Family+Fun+Fest.+

FBLA member Julianna Crawford (11) helping set up for Family Fun Fest.

Allyssa Maloney, Staff Reporter

Looking for a fun way to get more involved in your school? Join a club! Wade Hampton has a variety of clubs to choose from. Some have different requirements to get in and/or stay in the club. Here’s a quick guide to how to get in just a few clubs offered at WHHS.

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA): For this club, all you have to do is fill out an application, pay a 20 dollar fee, and pay for a 10 dollar t-shirt. But, attending meetings are super important because you get points for attendance. If you don’t rack up enough points, you can’t do fun stuff with the club. Talk to Mrs. Ellerbe for more information on the club.

Junior Civitan: Junior Civitan is a community service organization, so guess what? Service hours! This club requires you to pay 17 dollars (which covers a t-shirt), perform 10 hours of community service (lots of events offered through the club), and you have the option to attend Special Olympics in the spring. This club meets on the first Tuesday of every month in the library.

National Honors Society (NHS): NHS is a little bit harder to get into than other clubs. To understand how to get in, I asked Chase Hudson (12), a member of NHS. He explained, “You get selected based on your GPA, and then you have to write an essay and tell them about all the community service hours you’ve done, and clubs you’ve been in during high school separately from the essay.” Also, throughout the year, you have to complete 25 hours of service. For any questions, contact Mr. Stockwell.

Youth In Government (YIG): To participate in YIG, you need to attend the meetings at 7:50 AM in the library on Thursdays. You can’t miss more than three of those meetings. To stay in the club, you have to keep attending the meetings, develop a mock bill supporting something that you care about, and help out with events like the Spirit Week breakfast and a spring goods drive for the YMCA. Most importantly, you have to go to a three day conference in November in Columbia, SC to argue for the bill that was created during the meetings and pass it through student legislature. Find out more about the conference here.