Career in Sports Day: FBLA Trip

Career in Sports Day: FBLA Trip

FBLA Vice President Jasmine Battle (12) shows her excitement for the Career in Sports Day Trip.

Hailey McCoy

Hailey McCoy

Hailey McCoy

Hailey McCoy, Co-Editor

Learning outside of a conventional classroom setting tends to be a breath of fresh air for students. Taking a break from the traditional desk-and-smartboard instruction encourages students to be more engaged in the lesson and helps develop new interests that could not be established in a common school environment. Wade Hampton’s Future Business Leaders of America chapter is taking advantage of an outside learning opportunity this December.

On December 4th, a limited number of students will leave at 12:30 PM to make their way to Charlotte to learn about business opportunities in the sports career field. In Charlotte, they will hear a speaker panel and will be able to watch the Charlotte Hornets and Orlando Magic basketball game that starts at 7 PM. Upon arrival, students will get to hear multiple speakers talk about what their jobs entail, as well as how they chose their career paths. The speaker panel will consist of executives from the Hornets organization, the NBA league office, and even one of Michael Jordan’s closest advisers. After the panel, students will be able to watch the two teams warm up before the game. They will go to dinner at McAlister’s Deli, then return to watch the basketball game.

As students listen to the speakers talk about their career paths, students may develop an interest in the mentioned fields. “The goal of this trip is to show the sports side of business and have a good time all at once,” says Derek Marshall, the President of Wade Hampton’s FBLA chapter. While learning about marketing, sales, finance, hospitality, entertainment, and other aspects of business pertaining to sports, students will also be able to see how all those aspects work together in real time.

If you are interested in this trip, the $105 cost to attend is due by November 15th. See Mrs. Ellerbe for more information.