Winner Winner Crimson Dinner

Winner Winner Crimson Dinner

Cason Whitmire (10) and Jack Whitmire (11) show their love for their favorite football team by attending a game.

Carley Beam, Staff Reporter

College football season has finally come to a frigid end. The highly anticipated National Championship was played Monday, January 8th between the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Georgia Bulldogs. The tide rolled back into this year’s championship game with hopes of redemption. It was no easy road to the National Championship this year. After losing to Clemson in last years match-up, all eyes were on the Sugar Bowl game between Clemson and Alabama. The game was played in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. Despite the significant distance from each team’s state, the stadium was filled completely with Crimson and Orange. With vengeance on their mind, the Crimson Tide played the game seemingly effortlessly, leaving many Clemson fans shocked and heartbroken. Senior Jack Whitmire attended the game and he said, “Before the game I felt good about it… After the game, I realized our offense didn’t play to their full potential which costed Clemson the game.”

Georgia went into the Rose Bowl game with a tough opponent. Oklahoma not only had a Heisman-winning quarterback, but they had more experience in the playoffs. With the odds against the Bulldogs, it was a surprise to many that Georgia pulled off the win after double overtime. After both teams proved themselves in the semi-final, it was onto the last game of the season. The National Championship game was played Monday, January 8th at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. With a significant lead throughout the game, the Bulldogs and their rowdy fans felt very confident that they would leave the stadium as champions. However, the experienced Crimson Tide came out of the locker room after half time and rallied back.

Here is how the game ended: With seconds left in the game, the score was tied and Alabama had the ball. It was 4th down, time for Alabama kicker Andy Pappanastos to make the game-winning field goal and make his team champions. Unfortunately for him, he missed, sending the game into overtime. Luckily, Alabama won the coin toss and held off Georgia from scoring a touchdown. The bulldogs did manage to kick a field goal and put their team up 3 points. It was Alabama’s chance to score. Note that the starting quarterback for Alabama hadn’t even touched the field the entire second half. Their triumphant fight back into the game was led by freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. Bringing his team all the way back to a tied game, Tagovailoa came through for his team and threw the winning touchdown to Sean McDonough. Alabama refused to go home without the trophy this time and through hard work and dedication in the off-season, they left the stadium on Monday as National Champions.