Who is Matthew Knowles?

Before starring in Chinese films, Matthew Knowles was a Clemson football player.

Lucy Garcia, Co-Editor

Just a few days ago, Matthew Knowles, a former Clemson football player turned Chinese acting sensation, visited Sara Collins Elementary School. As a graduate of Greenville County Schools, he brought an interesting story to the students. Presumably home for the holidays, Knowles spoke to the kids at Sara Collins with the intention of showing them how unpredictable and exciting life can be. He showed the students that their dreams, no matter how far-fetched, are possible. He even sang a song for them in Chinese.

The beauty in his story is that, originally, his reason for moving to China was not fame or fortune, but to teach English. He wanted to contribute something to the world, to make some kind of impact on the world and make it easier for a few kids to learn valuable skills. He did end up impacting children and becoming a role model, but in such a different way. His journey goes to show that sometimes, the beauty in life comes from the chances that are completely unexpected.

His soon to be released movie is titled Asura, and it is the most expensive movie that has ever made in China. It is a film resembling Lord of the Rings, an action movie that is said to be full of suspense and excitement. In an interview, Knowles said this: “I tell everyone just to chase your dreams, because I’m a living testament that your dreams can come true if you keep going after them… And sometimes, you have to adjust. You might end up across the world.”

If there is one thing to take away from Knowles’ journey, it is this: Adjustment is sometimes difficult, but is sometimes critical when exploring passions and passages of life.