Is the XFL Back?

Trea Jones, Staff Reporter

On January 25, 2018, chairman of WWE, Vince McMahon, announced the return of the XFL, a league that he founded in 1999. The league is expected to officially start in 2020. When Vince started the league back in 1999, he rushed the first game and then the XFL lasted through 2001. The previous XFL was intertwined with WWE but back then they were called the WWF and McMahon looked at that as a mistake. He had WWE announcers announcing the games. McMahone said in his inauguration of the XFL that it will not have any ties to the WWE financially. This new XFL league will have eight teams in cities that are set to be determined in 2019. They plan to play ten regular season games beginning in late January or early February and will have a postseason that has two semifinal games and a Championship.

With the emergence of the XFL, would they be competition to the NFL?  Junior Robert Harris says, “ The XFL will not be better than NFL.” The NFL ratings have been going down the past years. Statistics prove that people only really watch the Superbowl. The XFL could possibly take the NFL ratings. XFL can solve the problems that the NFL has and make them better. One thing the XFL could do better is the catch rule. This past regular season a receiver caught a game-winning pass but when he hit the ground he lost control. When that happens, the NFL received a lot of controversies. It has happened in the past too with one incident happening to Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys and former Wideout Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions. The XFL can possibly solve that problem and solve every other problem that the NFL has.