Lunchtime Blues

February 14, 2018

Lunchtime Blues

Rebekah Taylor (12) brings her own fatty-filled lunch to school.

Growing up, lunchtime was the most anticipated time of the day (besides recess). Elementary school lunch was the most delicious meal ever eaten, even if we just had the same thing last week. Middle school was even better, allowing our immature, friedfood driven minds choose from Chick-fil-a, Papa John’s, or the plain old lunch we used to cherish. The progression of good food to better food heightened our expectations for high school. How could they possibly step up their food game? To our dismay, Michelle Obama pushed for more healthful lunches before most of us got to experience the tasteful food of high school.

One in three children in America, young children and teenagers, fall under the categories of obese or overweight. Trying to lessen this statistic, Michelle Obama took action to regulate school lunches. School lunches transformed from mouthwatering goodness to mouth drying dullness. Senior William Farrior recalls when salt was available in the lunchroom for the taking. “I was pushed to the point of bringing my own salt after the regulations,” he grievously stated. We have been stripped of our greasy pizza and salty fries and forced to eat meals lower in fat, calories, sodium, and they now include more fruit and vegetables. Contrastingly, in France, a four-course school lunch is served. These lunches are packed full of calories, fat, sodium, and refined grains. This lunch usually consists of a delightful salad, delectable meats, and fresh fruit and grains. Generally, a country’s lunch menu consists of traditional foods eaten there. If rice and beans are a big portion of a country’s crop, there will be more rice and beans on the plates.

Trump may be trying to repeal the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. In a few years, high school students could be enjoying a four-course meal like other countries.