Almost Ring Season

Erin+Dillard+%2812%29+hugging+her+teammate+Chyna+Mayberry+%2812%29+after+their+heartbreaking+loss+in+the+5A+State+Championship+game.+
Erin Dillard (12) hugging her teammate Chyna Mayberry (12) after their heartbreaking loss in the 5A State Championship game.

Carley Beam, Staff Reporter

The Lady Generals basketball team unfortunately came up short on the scoreboard this past Friday night in their second attempt to become state champions. Playing against the Spring Valley Lady Vikings, the Generals fell 49-37. With seven seniors, the girls played every game as if it were there last, all having the same goal in mind: returning to the state championship for the second time. Winning upper state titles two years in a row is also a big accomplishment for the ladies, the program, and the school. Leaving Columbia without the state title was a disappointing finish to a hard fought season.

The ladies have received an immense amount of support from the school and their classmates throughout their season. Drawing a huge crowd each game, the girls brought the most fans to the upper state game where they beat Woodmont High School. Senior Erin Dillard said, “We obviously didn’t get the outcome that we wanted. We gave it our all and came up short, but we had an amazing season and we are so grateful to our fans.” Basketball has always been an ace sport here at Wade Hampton. This year was the team’s big run. It was their year to win it all and they gave everything they had trying to do so. At the end of the night, one team had to win and someone had to lose. It was unfortunate that the Lady Generals had to come out on the losing side but what an amazing season they had. So many accomplishments were reached by this team and the seven amazingly talented seniors will truly be missed, leaving big shoes to fill. It was an incredible run and above all the Wade Hampton staff and students wants nothing more but for every player on the team to know how proud of them they are and how proud they always have been of them. It is officially post season which means it is time for a short break and then back to working hard to ensure another successful season next year.