If You Ask, You Pay

Chase+Hudson+%2812%29+offering+to+pay+for+the+check.+

If You Ask, You Pay

Chase Hudson (12) offering to pay for the check.

Allyssa Maloney, Staff Reporter

There are no rules or commandments for how a first date should go. When the check comes, neither gender knows what to do. Sometimes, if men try to pick up the check, they are seen as sexist. Splitting the check could potentially harm the chances of a second date, and sometimes even refusing to split the check will do the same thing. How can anyone know what to do?

In a survey by SurveyMonkey on love and finances, 78% said they think men should pay for the first date. A shocking discovery was made, however. While 72% of women that took the survey agreed, a whopping 85% of men said so, too. It was also found that many men think women do not enjoy the date if they want to pay for themselves. Save men the confusion and just let them pay.

Senior Sarah Miller said, “The person who asks should be the one who pays.”  The payment of the date should be discussed before it happens. High school students are not the most financially stable members of society, therefore it is not safe to assume someone will have money. Communication is the key to everything, and it will make the first date a breeze.

Ladies, do not let the guys pay for every date. It may be a tradition, but it is 2018 and we are all equals. Try to chip in or pay for a date every once in a while. Instead of avoiding the check, make it known if paying is a problem.