AP student Eden Berg (11) studies for her AP exams.

Open Letter to Spring AP Students

March 13, 2018

Dear Spring AP Students,

I would love to say that I have spent the first few months of the second semester reviewing alongside you, but that would simply be a lie. I have four new and challenging classes on my hands. I will admit that I have taken a well-deserved break from my draining AP classes. Now, after weeks of no stress, I can feel my grade on the AP exam slowly slipping through my fingers. I am writing to you today to illustrate the beautiful world around you that you must be blind to.

The life of a spring AP student is one of leisure and relaxation. Not only do you have class time leading up to the early days of May, but you also have test and quiz grades as incentives to study. I, on the other hand, must reward myself with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s just to pick up a flash card.

Do you recognize your privilege? You can skate through these last few months until the ice rink has melted into a toasty pool. Weeks of review will precede the exam. College credit is within reach for you. I feel like an untrained trapeze artist at this point. I hope you take this into consideration when the timer begins in early May. When we get our results back in July, I hope you will forgive my scoffs and snide remarks.

Don’t take this the wrong way. Rest assured, I have the utmost respect for your ability to hold in information for a few months at most. I’ll see you at the review sessions. Or will I?

Sincerely,
Those of us with AP classes in the fall