Team USA Football

March 13, 2018

Jeremiah+Thompson+%2810%29%2C+Mikwon+Burton+%2810%29%2C+Ajaids++Cord+%2810%29+and+Zion+Murray+%2810%29+posing+for+a+picture+before+a+football+pratice+
Jeremiah Thompson (10), Mikwon Burton (10), Ajaids  Cord (10) and Zion Murray (10) posing for a picture before a football pratice

Jeremiah Thompson (10), Mikwon Burton (10), Ajaids Cord (10) and Zion Murray (10) posing for a picture before a football pratice

By Trea' Jones

By Trea' Jones

The U.S National Team is all about excellence, so much so that that sentence is in bold letters on their website. They provide training to Middle school to High school students. They train students to play their positions safely and avoid injuries. They even have a book called Heads Up Football, and Coach Klatt uses it to teach drills properly to Wade Hampton football players.  The coaches who train the kids are former NFL players and coaches, as well as current NCAA coaches. They also have training camps such as Regional Development Camps. Players have to compete to get selected for the  National Development Games (contact or non-contact). Then, if selected, players can participate in the International Competitions. The teams face off against Japan and Canada. Players can also be chosen to play in the World Championship. A team made of players under the age of nineteen travels the world to play against other teams and will get to have a chance to earn a gold medal.

Recently, sophomore Zion Murray has been selected to try out for the USA team. He says, “I really have to show out, I didn’t get selected to try out for nothing, I have to make it.” This is opportunity will help Zion going on to college if he makes the team. College coaches are looking for the best and if he makes the team then it will for sure make him stand out. Last year Jackson Bryant (12) was selected to try out. You can see in the way he played this year that the camps has helped him improve. Quarterback Jameis Winston and Running Back Todd Gurley, are alumni of Team USA Football, and they are becoming future stars in the NFL.