Heads Up, Seniors!

April 11, 2018

Heads Up, Seniors!

Kayla Herman (12) is excited to finish her senior year.

There are just under two months until the end of the world. Just kidding! But there are just under two months until graduation. This means a wide number of things, from closing chapters to opening new ones. Here are a few things all high school seniors should keep in mind for the home stretch.

Do not slack!

It is so very tempting, as principal Mr. Williams has said during many senior meetings, to just coast through these last couple months until graduation. The infamous senioritis has definitely reared its ugly head by now. As the days get warmer and exams creep closer, test scores may begin to slip beneath the excitement for the summer. However, it is important to keep a good track record leaving high school, as colleges have access to final transcripts. Colleges always have the ability to retract acceptance for those who flunk classes in their final semester of high school.

Make as many memories as possible.

Walking into a new place after high school can make people feel like they are just drifting into absolute chaos. It is important to make memories now, with family and friends, to stay grounded when going into the world. “I’ll most definitely miss my friends because they will all be pretty far away from me. I will also miss the relationships I have made with certain teachers, they really pushed me to do my best,” says senior Silvia Marroquin. Adults always market the world outside of primary education as large and scary. The memories made now will keep students afloat amidst the craziness of the outside world.

Stay out of trouble and make sure to pay all outstanding fees.

With numerous upcoming responsibilities and stress-inducing situations such as prom, exams, and graduation parties, it is easy to slip up or forget simple rules. However, if students get in trouble, there is a chance that they will lose graduation ceremony privileges. Little mess ups, like forgetting to pay library fees, for example, can keep any student from walking across the stage to get their diploma. Larger mess ups, such as misbehavior at prom or not showing up to the mandatory graduation practices could also result in a loss of graduation ceremony privileges.

Keep in mind that things will change.

Leaving high school, something that has been so important for the past four years brings about the inevitability of change. And it will not be all lollipops and rainbows. It will be hard to leave behind old friends and old ways of life. However, the good definitely outweighs the bad in this situation. In this valley between being a teen and being an adult, there is so much opportunity to learn and to grow, even if college is not part of the plan.

Follow these simple rules, and these last two months will fly by in a whirlwind of caps, gowns, and tassels.