Superheros Through the Ages

Superheros Through the Ages

Mitchell Evans (9) sporting his Batman attire.

Nigel Ice

Nigel Ice

Nigel Ice

Nigel Ice, Staff Reporter

Superheros have been around since the 1930s. Originally, they appeared in the form of comic books, then in TV shows that aired in the 1950s, and finally in movies produced in the 1960s. One of the most known superhero movies from that time was Batman: The Movie in 1966. Batman was played by Adam West, the most famous Batman and one of the most famous superhero actors ever. This movie consisted of four villains: The Riddler, The Joker, The Penguin, and Catwoman who all had bright and colorful costumes and a sense of humor. Compared to some of the older Batman movies, the current films The Dark Knight or Dawn of Justice, are much darker and the characters have changed drastically in the last fifty years. The current Batman, Ben Affleck, sports a dark gray and black suit and his portrayal is very different than Adam West’s. Sophomore Colby Lister had this to say about the Batman movie series over the years: “I love Batman. He is one of the best superheros ever and seeing all these different incarnations and stories play out on the big screen is awesome.”

Another well-known superhero film saga is Spider-Man. There have been two reboots of the movies in the past ten years, and the character has been played by three different actors. First was Tobey Maguire, who starred in three movies and was a great choice for the first film adaptation of the character. These films showed Peter graduating high school and going into the world of journalism, while trying to be Spider-Man simultaneously. They also dive into his relationship with Mary Jane Watson. In 2012, the movies were rebooted when Sony bought the rights to Spider-Man and cast Andrew Garfield who starred in The Amazing Spider-Man  in 2012. These films focus on Peter Parker towards the end of his senior year in high school and shows the character balancing his life as Spider-Man and Peter Parker. When Marvel got permission to use the Spider-Man character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he was introduced in 2016 in Captain America: Civil War. Tom Holland now plays Spider-Man during his sophomore year in high school which makes this the youngest Spider-Man in film and shows Parker struggling to be a better Spider-Man while keeping interest in his normal life.

Finally, Superman has had plenty of films over the past forty years. In the 1970s, Christopher Reeve wore the cape for almost ten years in four different movies. His costume was the classic  red and blue spandex with the red and yellow ‘S’ on his chest and cape. His movies were accurate to the comic books and even had their own details added into Superman’s story. After twenty-nine years, a new Superman reboot was released in 2006 with Brandon Routh as Superman. This was one of the most disliked superman movies of all time if not the most. Fans did not like the style of the movie, how Superman was portrayed, and the general plot of the movie. Then the most recent adaptation of Superman released in 2013 in Man of Steel with Henry Cavill wearing the cape. This was the movie that launched the DC cinematic universe and had fans excited for the future of DC movies.

About the Writer
Nigel Ice, Staff Reporter

Nigel Ice is a senior at Wade Hampton High School and this is his second year writing for The Herald. He enjoys relaxing at home watching Rick and Morty...