The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Seeing+these+people+grow+and+decide+what+to+do+after+high+school+has+been+one+of+the+best+parts+of+my+senior+year.+

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Seeing these people grow and decide what to do after high school has been one of the best parts of my senior year.

Hailey McCoy, Co-editor

Let me start by saying this: high school is not for the faint of heart. There is a lot that goes into it, and even more that goes into getting out of it. There are a lot of things that we experience that we never thought we would. I’m not going to lie; there are a lot of times when it’s hard to go to school and do well. However, the magnitude of the good times tremendously outweighs the hard times.

Senior year, specifically, is home to a lot of the good times that high schoolers experience. There are a lot of lasts; the last first day of school, the last pep rally, the last spirit week. Those “lasts” are bittersweet launch pads into the future.

There are plenty of firsts to outweigh the lasts, though. That’s probably the best part of senior year and high school in general. Not only have I gotten to see myself grow, but I have also gotten to see the people around me much grow. It’s wild to see what the people that I’ve pretty much grown up with turn into as they venture off into what all the adults like to call “the real world.”

More specifically, seeing what my peers have decided to do after high school has been exciting and almost rewarding. To see the kid that loves math decide to pursue a career in that field, or to see the athlete sign to their dream college; it is, for lack of better-describing skills, a really happy moment. Even to decide for myself what I plan to do in life has an air of accomplishment and satisfaction to it.

Truthfully, I don’t think there is just one defining moment of high school. I believe there are a lot of moments in these four years that shape us into who we are. From the first homecoming game to prom, there is so much that we experience in the four years that can change our perspectives and our lives. And that’s what makes it all worth it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.