The Last Dance

The Last Dance

Carley Beam (12) and her date Christopher Matheny (12) taking pictures before prom.

Carley Beam, Staff Reporter

High school is one of those experiences that feels like it takes forever in the process but once it is done, you realize that it truly flew by. As my last year at Wade Hampton is coming to an end, I am finally able to reflect back on my time here and conclude that this year has been the best year of my life. Senior year has a bittersweet feel to it. Even though it is the start to a new chapter, it is also an end to one. I am a very sentimental person and this year has been filled with lasts for me: my last first day of school, my last football game in the student section, my last volleyball and softball game, my last spirit week, and my last yearbook day. One last that I will cherish forever, though, is my last prom. I surely saved the best one for last.

Prom was on April 21st at Southern Bleachery and it was truly a night under the stars (not sure if this was the theme but I will figure it out). I was so blessed to be able to go to prom with my best friends. That Saturday, I put on a beautiful red dress, after the hours of stressing out and getting ready, and I went to my last prom. My date, Christopher Matheny, and my two best friends, Karson Bryant and Santiago Quiros, had dinner at Halls Chophouse downtown and our meal tasted like a million bucks- although it did not cost quite that much. After dinner, we started our drive to prom. A drive anywhere with my best friend Chris, though, is basically a concert on wheels. I have never laughed so hard or sang so loud in my life. We got to prom about an hour late, like everyone else did, and immediately started dancing. It made me so happy to see all of my classmates in one place, dressed to the nines, dancing, and having one last good time together. My shoes were off and I was completely care free. One thing that I liked a lot was that I didn’t check my phone at all. I wanted to soak up every bit of that experience with my best friends by my side. Prom was arguably one of the best nights of my life and I don’t have a clue what I am going to do without my best friends living five minutes away from me next year. One thing that calms that fear for me though is knowing that I have made friendships that will last a lifetime and no distance can change that. I have high school to thank for that. Thank you Wade Hampton High School.