Comeback Season

Comeback Season

(From left to right) Payton Liner, Jack Conner, Jack Lewis, Audra McSharry, Rebecca Grant Cheer on the Wade Hampton varsity football team as they play against Eastside.

River Herron, Staff Reporter

Last season was definitely not the greatest for Wade Hampton’s varsity football team. The team managed to bag a total of three wins, which seems fine until looking at the seven towering losses. In most of the losses the team took, their opponents’ score more than tripled Wade Hampton’s. The year started with Greenville High School showing no mercy when stepping across the overkill line with a final score of 51-9. The first game of the season was shortly followed by Wade Hampton’s football team on the unfortunate side of two major blowouts performed by Woodmont and the team’s well-known rival: Eastside. Looking at the glass half full, Wade Hampton seemed to learn something from the two losses and executed two blowouts of their own against Carolina Academy with a final score of 60-0, and Berea High School with 25-0. As the year went on and the team’s short luck began to subside, we lost close to every game we played on Friday nights.

If school spirit could win a football game, Wade Hampton would be the state champion every single year. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and it is clear from looking back on last year’s performance that change should be present. As the first spark of this years football season begins to ignite, 2018 is looking like a year of progression. The team has moved up a division and are now facing harder opponents. When asked about his thoughts on the upcoming season, Coach Solomon stated, “This year, we have a core group of committed players that can handle any task at hand, and if we focus on the process and are disciplined in our approach than we can focus on this years season.” Staying focused is exactly what the team has been mastering even before the football season started; the team’s coaches were especially strict about the attendance of the daily workouts in the summer of 2018. They also extended practice times with the reward of efficiency. Individualizing each and every player, which is a serious problem in this specific season, is difficult with the unusually high number of underclassmen on varsity in need of skill development. It is clear that a change is taking place and the team is working hard to improve their performance for the rest of this season.

About the Writer
River Herron, Staff Reporter

River Herron is a junior at Wade Hampton High School who enjoys hanging out with his friends on weekends and taking pictures. He works part time at O.P...