Picture Perfect Playgrounds

A+customer+at+The+Egg+House+poses+in+a+giant+egg+carton+for+her+Instagram+profile.+
A customer at The Egg House poses in a giant egg carton for her Instagram profile.

via theegghouse on Instagram

via theegghouse on Instagram

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Social media has changed the game. Businesses, clubs, sports teams, and even schools now have their own Instagram accounts. In New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and other major cities, attractions dedicated to getting the perfect Instagram photo are popping up. They feature interactive displays including ball pits and giant egg cartons. Each pop-up centers around a theme that provides interesting scenarios for each customer to play in. Most themes focus on abstract concepts or feature a collection of fun locations. In the Egg House, people can sit in a swing shaped like an egg yolk, or pose under clouds that look like they have been cooked sunny side up. At the Dream Machine exhibit, customers can eat cotton candy dryer lint in a pastel pink laundry mat, or navigate through a sea of silver streamers. The creators take extra care in making sure that each area has the perfect lighting and colors for a chic and creative picture.  

Instagram was first created as a photo and video sharing service. Millions of people around the world now utilize it. The site is full of modern users who fill their profile with trendy photos of themselves in stylish clothing and pastel colors. It is no wonder that pop-up exhibits such as The Egg House and the Dream machine attract young bloggers, social media influencers, or people who merely want a fashionable picture for their profile. The Dream Machine has 56.2K followers, and their hashtag has more than 3,000 posts. The promotion of these fantastical pictures online by a variety of people with a variety of fame encourages more people to visit the exhibit. For many, it represents an ideal Instagram profile for young users.

The Dream Machine will close on September 19th to make way for what they describe as “something spooky in October.” Tickets for The Egg House in New York City are available for $18 online. Candytopia which features candy themed attractions opened September 6th in San Francisco. Kids under twelve can get tickets for $26 while adults pay $32. Sophomore Allie Dunlap admitted, “I would definitely pay more for an interactive display rather than just a cool setting for a picture. Either way though, my limit would probably be around $25.” For the especially interesting and Instagram-able exhibits customers may have to pay more, but many are willing to do so to get the perfect shot for their profile.           

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs and organizations. One of her favorite pastimes is going to Wade Hampton sporting events and cheering on the Generals from the student section or taking pictures on the sidelines. She works on homework, plays with her dogs, and spends time with friends most days after school. When she’s at home, Sydney and her triplet sisters can often be seen watching The Office on repeat. Her ideal weekend would be spent outdoors in the mountains or by the lake with her family and friends. Sydney is so excited to be a part of The Herald staff this year!