Should Your Outfits Be Up to You or Up to Code?

September 24, 2018

Embrace the Dress Code: Get a Uniform

Allie+Dunlap+%2810%29+looks+happy+posing+with+a+school+uniform+skirt+and+tie.+

Embrace the Dress Code: Get a Uniform

Allie Dunlap (10) looks happy posing with a school uniform skirt and tie.

Stylish uniforms are featured in a variety of popular movies, books, and shows. Harry Potter wears a uniform when he practices magic at Hogwarts, and Rory Gilmore rocks a blue plaid skirt on Gilmore Girls, so why does Wade Hampton not embrace the classic school uniform? A school uniform could make a big difference when it comes to money spent on clothes, time choosing an outfit in the morning, and bullying based on appearance. Parents and students end up spending a lot of money on different outfits to wear to school. A uniform would only require students to have a few varieties of an outfit, reducing the amount of money spent. Plus, having a uniform would mean that if students wanted to buy non-uniform clothes, they could choose styles to wear outside of school without having to worry that they might break the dress code. Students could save time in the morning as well. Many students feel pressure to impress their peers with their clothing when they go to school. This can cause a distraction from lessons and encourages some students to spend a significant amount of time choosing the perfect outfit in the morning. A uniform would eliminate that. Students can simply put on their assigned clothing and go to school. The uniform also makes sure that at school everyone looks the same. This helps to level the playing field and prevent peers from comparing each other based on their style of clothes or appearance. Sophomore Lindsey Bright said, “I think the main benefit would be saving the time it takes to pick out clothes every day and not being judged for my clothes.”

A uniform would make a difference at Wade Hampton, especially when it comes to enforcing the dress code. WHHS is known to be strict when it comes to making sure students follow the dress code. Students are sent to ISS if their skirts are too short or if they have a hole above the knee. A uniform is much easier for teachers and administrators to enforce than a standard dress code. With just a dress code, some outfits may be considered inappropriate by some staff members and not by others. A uniform is clear and straightforward. Clothing either follows the uniform or it does not. Teachers and administrators can avoid debate by putting a uniform in place.

Students also have a chance to express themselves even if they wear a uniform. Most schools allow students to choose their hairstyle, accessories, and sometimes their footwear. A variety of buttons, scarves, and jewelry can help students assert their individuality while still complying with the uniform. WHHS students have the chance to make their life easier by merely agreeing to wear a school uniform.