Diversity in McDonald’s

Jevh+Maravilla+and+Christian+Toledo+pose+in+front+of+their+homemade+McDonald%27s+poster.++
Jevh Maravilla and Christian Toledo pose in front of their homemade McDonald's poster.

Jevh Maravilla

Jevh Maravilla

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Jevh Maravilla and Christian Toledo wanted more than some burgers and fries when they visited a McDonalds in Pearland, Texas. The location has a number of posters featuring customers enjoying the companies fast food, but Maravilla noticed a lack of diversity as many of the posters exclusively featured white customers and employees. A blank wall in the restaurant provided for the perfect opportunity to change that. The twenty-one and twenty-five-year-old friends are both of Filipino origin. Instead of issuing a complaint, they decided to take things into their own hands and create their poster. Their poster featured Maravilla and Toledo talking as they held a large fry and a burger. It remained hanging in the fast food restaurant unnoticed for fifty-one days before Maravilla decided to share his feat with the world through his Twitter account and YouTube channel.

The first thing that the friends did to make their incredibly realistic poster was taking a picture of themselves holding food from Mcdonald’s at a nearby school. Maravilla used Photoshop to edit the picture, adding dotted circles that look very similar to the ones seen on the other advertisement posters in the restaurant along with the classic golden arches. They then printed their creation and prepared to hang it up. In order to execute their plan, Maravilla planned to dress up like a McDonald’s employee. He found a McDonald’s shirt at a thrift shop for seven dollars and completed the look with a homemade name tag declaring him the regional interior coordinator. He and his team walked into the restaurant and quickly hung up the poster on the blank wall while employees were occupied. They spent about 100 dollars on the whole project, but they hope the money helped create a change in the community. As WHHS sophomore Kati Lorenz said, “It was worth the money to include different ethnicities.”

Mariselle Quijano, who owns the McDonald’s gave this statement to the press, “We take pride in highlighting diversity in every aspect of our restaurants. We applaud these students’ creativity and hope to see them in our restaurants again soon.” Maravilla’s Youtube video now has over one million views on his channel. He and his friends have received an outpouring of support from people of a variety of backgrounds. WHHS sophomore Jane Dunlap expressed her support of the two friends efforts saying, “I think it is important to promote inclusion and diversity in advertising because it better reflects the world around us.” The poster is still hanging in the fast food restaurant.    

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs and organizations. One of her favorite pastimes is going to Wade Hampton sporting events and cheering on the Generals from the student section or taking pictures on the sidelines. She works on homework, plays with her dogs, and spends time with friends most days after school. When she’s at home, Sydney and her triplet sisters can often be seen watching The Office on repeat. Her ideal weekend would be spent outdoors in the mountains or by the lake with her family and friends. Sydney is so excited to be a part of The Herald staff this year!