Open Letter to Freshman Preparing for Spirit Week

%23FTK%21+The+Freshman+Student+Council+holds+up+the+total+check+of+over+a+quarter+million+for+the+2017+Spirit+Week.+All+proceeds+went+to+Shriner%27s+Hospital+for+Children+in+Greenville.+

#FTK! The Freshman Student Council holds up the total check of over a quarter million for the 2017 Spirit Week. All proceeds went to Shriner's Hospital for Children in Greenville.

Herald Staff Member

Dear freshmen,

I get it, transitioning from middle school to high school can be pretty confusing. There are so many new things to get accustomed to that you might not have experienced in middle school. The most exciting parts of middle school might have involved the eighth-grade dance or casual dress day. In high school though, particularly at Wade Hampton, things are much different. Spirit Week, which occurs at the beginning of every school year, is without a doubt the most exciting and fulfilling event you will experience throughout your student career. Spirit Week is a week filled with sleepless nights, lots of spending, and moments that will turn into a lifetime of memories. There are many things that you might not understand about the upcoming Spirit Week, but no worries, because Student Council members from all other grade levels are here to advise/help out.

First of all, you have to learn to savor every little moment. Sophomore Meredith Pope said “Enjoy every last minute! Spirit Week flies by and you only get four, so you should enjoy them and put everything into them because it’s so worth it when you see the total on the check.” Spirit Week only happens once every school year, so it is imperative that you try your best to cherish the moments while they are here.

Second of all, you need to get as involved in the events as you possibly can. Junior Riley Wasse said, “Come to as many events as you possibly can and dress all out. The more events you participate in, the more you feel that you made a difference.” Whether they take place in school or out, try your best to attend them, as you will never know how much fun they are until you do.

Lastly, make sure that you are contributing as much as you possibly can. Obviously, you should not spend all the money you have during this week, but please do not skimp out.

Senior Bladen Bates said, “At the end of the day, yes, we are all spending crazy amounts of money, but it is going to one of the best charities in Greenville.” Contributing to it is something that every student should be proud to be a part of. When you look back on your high school experience in ten years, what will you remember, coasting by and doing the minimum, or having fun and contributing to those in need?

Don’t be the freshman that does not participate or contribute. You have only four precious years of high school that will fly by before you can even grasp them. Make the most of these years by getting involved, and really, truly making a difference. Do not wait until your senior year to really get involved in Spirit Week, start making a difference now while you still have lots of time.

Sincerely,

Every other grade level