Run Rabbit Run!

Olivia+Pechin+%2810%29+heard+about+the+marathon+and+decided+she+was+going+to+imitate+a+runner+during+the+marathon.+

Run Rabbit Run!

Olivia Pechin (10) heard about the marathon and decided she was going to imitate a runner during the marathon.

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

The annual Swamp Rabbit Marathon is coming up on Saturday, October 28th this year. Last year there were over 450 participants, with Cole Atkins coming in first place. The marathon is held by the Greenville Track Club group, which has been an established organization since 1972. Every year, runners line up to join the race running from Furman to Fluor field. The first three miles consist of the Furman Loop, miles four to fifteen are through T.R., out and back. The second Furman Loop is miles sixteen through nineteen and from mile twenty to the finish is from Furman to Greenville. The runners are provided with plenty of hydration stations, bathrooms, and aid stations along the way to refill their energy, and they are also gifted swag bags from the race. The only thing they do not provide is nutrition.

When running a marathon a lot of preparation is involved and this can be different for every runner. Junior cross-country runner, Sidney Gilstrap, said, “When training for a marathon, you would have to go into a lot of preparation that includes running every single day and increasing the number of miles you run every day to reach the goal of 26 miles, the most difficult thing would be not giving up and staying positive throughout the run. Running is all mental.”

When a runner completes a marathon, relief washes over them and all they want to do is rest. After running the rabbit, each runner is given a cold bottle of water and there is a food station for them to refuel. Runners are also invited to a post-race party and are even offered hot showers at the local Kroc Center of Greenville. This race is an event that many love whether they are participating, cheering on a loved one, or just a local spectator. For anyone wanting to watch people run the rabbit the race officially starts at 7:30 am on October 28th. 

About the Writer
Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Keigan Tucker is a sophomore at Wade Hampton and this is her first year on The Herald staff. In school, she is involved in many extracurriculars including...