Textbooks vs. E-Books

September 24, 2018

Weight of the School On Your Shoulders

Onalee+Durham+%2811%29+shows+off+a+few+of+the+textbooks+Wade+Hampton+has+to+offer.+

Weight of the School On Your Shoulders

Onalee Durham (11) shows off a few of the textbooks Wade Hampton has to offer.

Nevaeh Arnold

Nevaeh Arnold

Nevaeh Arnold

Textbooks have always been a large controversy within high school walls. While most dislike them, textbooks do have their advantages when compared to having an e-book. For instance, paper textbooks do not require Wi-Fi or energy to run. People can use a textbook at any time or any place. Students who use e-books will most likely need internet access and a way to charge the e-book if they plan on using it for a long period of time. Also, as opposed to an e-book, students can write all types of things in the margins of their textbooks (if owned by them) and make notes, arrows, and doodles wherever they would like. Junior Onalee Durham stated, “I like having my own textbooks so I can write in them and take notes.” Students can also make all types of bookmarks with textbooks. Students can have red for writing samples, blue for information, etc. With e-books, students can only push a bookmark button and have it shuffled into a large group of other pages already bookmarked. It is easier to find things when bookmarked, in a textbook than it is with an e-book. Students will also have to make sure they are purchasing the right type of e-book and not just renting it as well. Since textbooks are supplied by the school, students do not have to worry about having the wrong version.

However, e-books are a lot more beneficial when it comes to the size of things. Textbooks are usually big and heavy, which makes them a pain to carry around. Textbooks can cause back pain as well. Although, there is a way to fix this. It would be beneficial to students and teachers if they, perhaps, did one of the following two things. Teachers could have a schedule listing all the days on which students would need to bring their textbooks in so that students did not have to bring them in every day. The other option is that teachers could make a certain section at the back of the room where all classes could keep their books. Numbers could be placed on the side of the book so that students would know which is theirs and the books would always be at school so no one would ever have to worry about not having them. If the student had to use the book for homework, the teacher can make them aware of this so that they all know to take it home that day and bring it back the next. At the end of the day though, it is better to have a textbook instead of an e-book.