Updates on This Year’s Cross Country Team and Events

As the girls WHHS cross country team take off, determination and desired are bound to be filling the head of each and every member.

Avery Pollock

Avery Pollock

Avery Pollock

Avery Pollock, Staff Reporter

With many different options to choose from in terms of sports and athletics at Wade Hampton, cross country is most certainly on the list. Wade Hampton has been recognized for its stellar cross country team for many years now, and as time goes on, more and more students find themselves with a deep passion for the sport. As the year progresses more into the fall, so does the team’s ambitions. So, with all of this being said, what is there to know about the Wade Hampton High cross country team this year?

With the roster containing over seventy members, it is safe to say that there is a full team in the works. The team has always been described as a big family who strive to work together to accomplish great feats. The team will be soon be attending the Cavalier Classic Invitational on September 29th, and is the next recent event the team will be enduring. There is, however, a very special event planned regarding the team during this week’s home football game on September 28th. The team is honoring Coach McCollum, long time Wade Hampton track and cross country coach, by announcing and celebrating the naming of the field facility after him during halftime. With these events coming up so soon, the team is sure to be on cloud nine. As far as training goes, it is more or less the same this year in comparison to past years. Emily Rhea, current runner for the girls’ roster, had this to say about the current training exercises: “The training is the same, but I still try to push myself.”

As the cross country team prepares for these upcoming events, spirits are sure to be high with confidence and courage. Both the boys’ and the girls’ teams will surely work together during the Cavalier Classic Invitational and all other upcoming events.