Art Class in the Athletic Hallway?

Art Class in the Athletic Hallway?

Freshmen Abby and Cora Beth Brooks work on their graffiti project in the PE classroom.

Lucy Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

As Mr. Williams explained in a message home to all parents, Mrs. Stewart’s art classes have been temporarily moved. This move happened last week; her classes changed location because of mold found in a sink, which could have caused a variety of health problems for students if it had gone unnoticed. Luckily, another space was open for these art students to continue their work as a class: the PE classroom.

Mrs. Stewart has a completely filled schedule–with four blocks spent teaching per day– so it is convenient that all of her classes could take place in the same room. Art classes, especially introductory ones, require careful instruction by a teacher to explain the goal of each assignment. Many students need help from Mrs. Stewart from time to time on some part of their artwork. The PE classroom, which is inhabited by art students and some of Mrs. Stewart’s supplies like scissors and a storage rack, is currently divided in half in order to allow different uses of each side. Mrs. Stewart’s classes will be working in this space until further notice, but many students do not mind the change of scenery.

Amidst the scribbled football plays on the whiteboard and the sounds of dumbbells hitting the floor in the weight room, students are still working diligently on their projects. With more desks, students have more space to spread out and draw. Senior Melissa Edwards, one of Mrs. Stewart’s students, said, “I’m personally a fan of it. Even though it’s a smaller classroom, it feels like we have a lot more space than in the normal art room.”