In With the New

Source%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiZwgUcsEOJ0
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZwgUcsEOJ0

River Herron, Staff Reporter

Kelly Bryant, a 3-year quarterback for Clemson University has recently decided to transfer from Clemson. Coach Dabo Swinney made the decision on Monday, September 24th to demote Bryant in favor of the team’s newest young blood freshman, Trevor Lawrence. After the emotional meeting held Monday, Bryant was given the day off practice, as he regrouped himself he skipped the teams Tuesday practice and did not return texts or phone calls sent by ESPN. “I’ve never been a distraction. I’ve never been in trouble with anything. To me, it was kind of a slap in the face.” Bryant eventually tells ESPN.

It is clear looking at the stats of this seasons first four games (removing garbage time) on why Swinney made the tough decision he had to. Bryant, starting every game (and splitting time with Lawrence) failed to outplay his new friendly competitor. These first four games of the season were Bryant’s window to show Swinney his ability to help the team to the national title this year (and to beat Alabama), a rumor being denied by Swinney on why he made the decision to downgrade Bryant. Trevor more than doubled Bryant’s success rate in games against Furman and Georgia Tech to kick off the season and also doubled Bryant’s overall quarterback rating for almost every game the two played together. A good example of Lawrence’s power is when the team faced Georgia Tech this season. When Bryant began to struggle in the first two drives, Lawrence stepped up to the plate and threw four touchdown passes leading Clemson to the win. Alabama continues to strengthen their team with players like Tua Tagovailoa, a monster 72.5% pass completion quarterback as a new edition to the team. Junior Joseph Tedrick said, “I think Kelly choosing to leave is what’s best for the team, he’s done a great job here at Clemson but an important quality to have as an athlete is knowing when to call it quits and move on.” The decision made by Bryant to transfer is one that is barely legal. Because of the new redshirting rules this season, Bryant, as a senior, has the ability to transfer with one year of eligibility remaining because he only played four games this season. The new rule states that players who participate in four games or fewer can retain the season of eligibility. “I feel like it’s what’s best for me and my future, I was just going to control what I could control and try to make the most of my opportunity, but at the end of the day, I just don’t feel like I’ve gotten a fair shot,” said Bryant in an interview with The Greenville News when asked about his decision.

About the Writer
River Herron, Staff Reporter

River Herron is a junior at Wade Hampton High School who enjoys hanging out with his friends on weekends and taking pictures. He works part time at O.P Taylors, the toy store in downtown Greenville. On weekends, you’ll find him driving around with his friends and listening to music. He likes spending time with his dog and his family as much as he can.