President Trump’s Latest Immigration Proposal

Courtesy of ThoughtCo.

Courtesy of ThoughtCo.

Courtesy of ThoughtCo.

Emmylou Wilkes, Staff Reporter

People from all over the world have sought asylum in the United States ever since it became a nation. Whether pushed by political injustice, religious persecution, or poverty, people from all walks of the earth have migrated to the US either in hopes of a better future or escape from a harrowing past. For years there has been debate over whether or not immigrants should be allowed into the country and whether or not they should be represented once they are. Immigration has remained a highly controversial topic for centuries; proposals on green card attainability have managed to change seemingly every day. Recently, there has been a wide debate between politicians on the topic of immigrants on government aid and whether or not these citizens make substantial contributions to the US economy. Some see these citizens as draining valuable resources from the government that American-born low-income citizens might also need. President Trump has proposed a new law that affects immigrants who use food aid, as well as other means of governmental assistance.

In late September, President Donald Trump said he considered making it more difficult for immigrants to obtain a green card and become permanent residents in the United States. The potential law most specifically targets immigrants who rely on public aid (food stamps, for example). It has been voiced by Trump, as well as a few of his supporters, that these residents are not contributing to the nation’s economy, but rather taking from it in order to sustain their own lives. According to the President, over forty-three million Americans are on food stamps. He believes that the introduction of this policy will resolve this. Trump claims that this will ensure that those migrating to the US are supporting themselves, rather than relying on government aid.

Some have wondered what this will mean for legal immigrants that rely on government aid as a means of support. It is believed that many of these residents, although legal citizens, will choose to no longer rely on government aid and assistance for fear of being targeted by this new proposal and of being deported. Although, that does not necessarily ensure that they will not be targeted by the policy. Those who choose to discontinue use of government aid will likely find themselves further consumed by poverty.

This proposal, if put into effect, will impact millions of immigrants across the US. An estimated 49% of legal US immigrants will be specifically targeted by the policy, as this is the number of legal immigrants that rely on government aid. According to the Washington Examiner, Congress will not need to approve for the proposal to be put into effect. Not only will this affect millions of immigrants currently in the US, but it will also affect millions of others trying to gain citizenship from outside of the US. This will only occur if the proposal is made into a policy, and only time will tell whether or not it will happen.

About the Writer
Emmylou Wilkes, Staff Reporter

Emmylou Wilkes is a junior and a first year staff reporter. She loves reading and writing and listening to just about any kind of music there is (with rap as the only exception). You’ll often find her eating, studying, binge-watching The Office on Netflix, or attempting to do all three simultaneously. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys running, and even played varsity tennis in her first years of high school. This year, she plans on focusing on her academics and striving to make this year the absolute best that it can be!