Voter Registration in High Schools Today

Benson+Jennings+%2812%29+is+finally+eighteen+and+has+been+excited+to+vote+since+he+was+little.+

Benson Jennings (12) is finally eighteen and has been excited to vote since he was little.

Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

Voter registration in the US has always been extremely popular, and everyone nowadays wants to vote and have a say in our democracy. Unlike adults in America, voter registration in the US for young people is extremely low. This may be because they are not interested in politics so they don’t need to vote. That is why so many politicians and organizations are pushing for schools to have voter registration in schools. Fewer than three in four eligible voters are registered to vote, and that’s why high school registration is an important step towards more complete voter polls. One organization that is pushing for voter registration in high school is The 100% Registration Project. They are invested to create a system for educating all students about the voting process and registering them to vote before they leave high school. In addition to addressing the problem of low voter registration and turnout in the United States, especially among young people, this project will also help young people gain a greater voice in shaping and directing politics. The hope for high schools by the end of 2018 is that 90% of high schools will have voter registration programs.

At Wade Hampton High School in Greenville, The Political Research Club held their first voter registration in hopes to get high school students out to vote. The Political Research Club was started this year and one of their members, Naama Rosen, described what the club is and why it’s so important to the school: “The purpose of the political research club is to give students the opportunity to engage in meaningful conversations about political issues in a safe and respecting atmosphere where all views are respected. It is also a great way for students to learn more about certain political issues and engage in civil discourse. At each meeting, there is a specific topic. Students have some time to research the topic and formulate their opinions on the issue. Then the students engage in a conversation about the issue and argue their views. At the end, the meeting is wrapped up with a fun game to lighten the mood. The political research club plans on holding a voter registration drive a couple of times a year to register students who are eligible to do so. It has already had a voter registration drive for the midterms where they registered over 10 people.”

Young kids in the US today now have the opportunity to feel safe at their school and be able to register. This is a big opportunity for so many children to finally have a voice in our government. Some ways on how to get kids involved with voter registration are making politicians pay attention to young people and their issues, giving students a greater voice in local elections, especially on issues facing their school district, and making sure that all young people are prepared to vote when they reach 18 years of age. Hopefully, in the years to come more and more schools will have voter registration clubs so that more kids can vote.

About the Writer
Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

Luna Riley is a junior and a first time staff member. She has always loved writing in her free time and decided to pursue this interest by joining The...