Student Council members smile with their record-breaking amount of more than $300,000.

A Record-Breaking Week at Wade Hampton

October 8, 2018

On Friday night at the check reveal, the emotions of every student and community member were palpable. At halftime, everyone in the stands waited anxiously to hear the amount that would end up changing lives forever. The Wade Hampton student body proudly presented a check for the amount of $306,379.48 to Clement’s Kindness. After a week of giving up all of their time (and money), they had the privilege of donating the biggest Spirit Week check ever to an organization that is helping many kids and families and even helping one of their own senior students.

This week would not be possible if not for the tireless work of Student Council. The time and energy put into Spirit Week by the members of StuCo is essential to the success of each Spirit Week. Students got to participate in events like dodgeball, bubble soccer, powderpuff, and so much more. Food from Moe’s, Joy of Tokyo, Pebble Creek Pizza, and Zaxby’s was available all week during lunch, along with ice cream and shaved ice. From buyouts to snacks sold during class to face painting in the morning, there was no shortage of events or things to buy. It was expensive and exhausting, but after all of the excitement and energy settled, the thousands of dollars they are donating in order to help others will be remembered for years to come.

The check reveal is the most emotional part of this week for StuCo on the field and all the students in the stands. Junior Mackenzie Clinch tries to describe what she felt when the check was revealed. She said, “We finally got to 14 seconds in the second quarter and it felt like forever… You feel everyone’s hands squeeze tighter and we all close our eyes. He stops and then we hear ‘3’ and we just don’t wait to hear what is after that, we just go ballistic. It is genuinely the best feeling in the entire world.” Clinch says that before the check was revealed, she was worried they would not get to $300,000.

This enormous, record-breaking total was a community effort. It was a result of generous donations and every student that participated and gave their money and time. On behalf of The Herald staff, thank you for your contribution!