Tragic Death of High School Football Player in Georgia

Dylan+Thomas%2C+16%2C+during+one+of+his+many+football+games+before+the+tragic+occurrence.+

Dylan Thomas, 16, during one of his many football games before the tragic occurrence.

Atlanta Informer

Atlanta Informer

Atlanta Informer

Avery Pollock, Staff Reporter

As with anybody, a death in a family, a team, or an organization is always a tragic event. Dylan Thomas, sixteen-year-old linebacker for Georgia high school, recently died from cardiac arrest due to what was believed caused by a traumatic head injury during a recent game for Georgia high school. While the accident had medical professionals puzzled at first, it is now clear as to what caused this tragic occurrence for Thomas.

As mentioned before, medical professionals could not determine the exact cause of such an incident to occur, but with further examination, the cause has now been determined. An article by Sports Illustrated goes more in depth of what exactly happened during this tragic event: “Thomas… was injured in the second quarter of his team’s Sep. 28 game. In the second half, Thomas’ arm and leg went numb, but he was responsive. He later lost consciousness and was taken to a hospital. After undergoing surgery and tests, Thomas died on Sep. 30.” Being apart of Wade Hampton’s football team, junior Steven Smith knows exactly how important each and every member of the team can be: “Each player is needed on the team, and it is a crucial pain to lose anybody on our program because each person carries a certain personality that nobody can top. Each player is not only an athlete, but they are also a family member,” he said.

While Thomas’ passing will surely bring about much grief in the local community, many have also shown their support for the family creating a number of fundraisers which have already topped over $50,000. A memorial service was held in honor of Thomas concluding his short but humble lived life last week, along with the condolences of his teammates and family members.