Zoe Park (9), Sydney Beall (11), Bethany Brown (11), Anna Kate (11) conclude their team huddle.

Girls Tennis Team Glowing With Success

October 23, 2018

For as long as Wade Hampton High school staff members and students can remember, the girls’ tennis team has not been the most successful and skilled throughout the years. Considering the team’s small recognition within the student body, it is not a surprise that many are not even able to recall anytime in which the team has been known to thrive and been highly ranked. According to a former student, Eleni Tsiatios, who was part of the 2017 graduating class and a member of the tennis team for all four of her years in high school, “During all of my time there not once did we come close to the successes you’re achieving now, I don’t even think we were ever even ranked.”

Today, Wade Hampton’s girls’ tennis team is placed third in the region and will now move onto regionals, starting on October 24th. It seems that the size increase of the team had turned out to serve them well this year, with a total of seventeen players who opened the season up with an undefeated streak. Starting out the season, the future could not have been predicted for the team as they were beginning it with a brand new coach, Bryce Staggs, who had also coached the boys’ tennis team the previous year. As time has told, Coach Staggs definitely deserves recognition for such a large victory in the name of Wade Hampton high school. The girls of the team are all very excited to start this journey onto regionals together as the family they are. Junior Sophia Hincapie shares, “I’m so ecstatic! And really proud of our team for doing so well this season.”