So, What Does the Royal Family Actually Do?

Newlyweds+Harry+and+Meghan+wave+to+their+supporters+as+they+pass+by+on+their+big+day.+
Newlyweds Harry and Meghan wave to their supporters as they pass by on their big day.

Courtesy of NBC News

Courtesy of NBC News

Emmylou Wilkes, Staff Reporter

Everyone currently alive is familiar with the royal family. People admire them for their wealth, their class, and their social presence. Some people, such as senior Sarah-Parker Martin, love the royal family for their “style, and how they serve as role models for everyone across the world.” No matter if they are going to a wedding, having a baby, or simply getting out of a car, there will always be news about their endeavors. Recently, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced that they are expecting a baby, and people from all across the world cannot seem to contain their excitement. In light of this news, people cannot help but wonder: out of all the royal children, as well as the one on the way, will any of them ever have a chance to reach the throne?

Compared to early royal family history, the family today seems to be having children left and right. William and Kate have had three children, whose names are Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis, and Prince George. Also, Duchess Meghan and Duke Harry are expecting a child in spring. This child will not be considered a prince or princess but will instead be deemed as either ‘Lord’ or ‘Lady’, depending on its gender. When born, the child will be seventh in line to the throne. It is next to impossible that any of these four children will reach the throne at any point in their lives. So what purpose do their surnames serve? What power will each of these children actually have?

No matter the surname, all family members under the Queen have essentially the same duty. This duty is to tend to anything that the Queen cannot. The only real power that the Queen holds is the ability to attend activities she calls “engagements.” According to Insider, these engagements generally involve “hosting heads of state, taking diplomatic trips, throwing parties at palaces” and “presenting citizens with awards.” So, what are the responsibilities of the rest of the family? Simply put, they are there to support the Queen and attend “engagements” she is too busy to attend herself. They all essentially have the same job, so surnames really only determine who is next in line to the throne.

Then, why is the family having so many children? Maybe they are attempting to expand their bloodline. Perhaps it is just purely coincidental. Whatever the case may be, they are not doing so to have their children reach any real position of power as that of the Queen.

About the Writer
Emmylou Wilkes, Staff Reporter

Emmylou Wilkes is a junior and a first year staff reporter. She loves reading and writing and listening to just about any kind of music there is (with rap as the only exception). You’ll often find her eating, studying, binge-watching The Office on Netflix, or attempting to do all three simultaneously. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys running, and even played varsity tennis in her first years of high school. This year, she plans on focusing on her academics and striving to make this year the absolute best that it can be!