Schoolkids Greedy For Time To Eat Lunch

Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

As a young kid in elementary school, lunch is one of the most exciting parts of the day. As children get older and go into middle and high school lunch is still an important part of a child’s daily routine. If lunch is so important for kids, why should they have to wait in such long lines?

At Wade Hampton High School there are four lunch lines. One has pizza, chicken sandwiches, and hamburgers, one that has a balanced meal plan that changes weekly, and two that serves Papa John’s pizza and chicken nuggets. There are so many options to choose from and it always seems that the second line, the one with a balanced meal plan that changes, is the most popular. This line always stretches throughout the lunch room, and to get food it takes up almost all of lunch. Lunch starts at 1:30 and most people don’t get food until 1:50 and lunch ends at 2:05. This is an extreme problem for people who are trying to eat before their next class.

One way this could be changed is by taking out the second Papa John’s line and making that another line for regular food. The Papa John’s line is never that long so they do not need two and this would cause the line for regular food to decrease significantly. Another big problem that students are facing in the lunch line are people cutting. Some kids will wait in line for twenty to thirty minutes and still not move very much because people will cut in front of them. This could be prevented by having extra staff members standing in between the lines so that people cannot cut. Junior Lauren Shermersian said, “The lunch lines are frustrating especially because I get salad every day and still have to wait in the regular line. If there was another line it would be way easier.”

About the Writer
Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

Luna Riley is a junior and a first time staff member. She has always loved writing in her free time and decided to pursue this interest by joining The Herald. Alongside writing, you may find her riding horses, playing her flute, or hiking with her family. Outside of school, she works the entire summer at camp. It’s her favorite activity and she loves to talk and write about it all the time. With her friends, she loves to go to concerts, eat at Waffle House, and make friendship bracelets. She obsesses over old movies such as Breakfast At Tiffany’s and spends all the time she can with her dog Lobo. She is excited for the upcoming year and to be apart of The Herald staff!

1 Comment

One Response to “Schoolkids Greedy For Time To Eat Lunch”

1. Xavior Turck on November 1st, 2018 11:26 am

That would be a good idea but then the new line will be long to because the people will have another line to go through for the people who get lunch late or something.

• Schoolkids Greedy For Time To Eat Lunch

Wade Hampton

Open Letter to Unprepared Students

Wade Hampton

Some Colleges Allow Opting Out of Test Scores

National

November 11th: A Day of Honor

Wade Hampton

You’ve GOAT to be Kidding Me

Wade Hampton

More Time Between Class Changes?

Entertainment

Once Upon an October Show

Uncategorized

Open Letter to Rude Students

Wade Hampton

What is Truly Being Built Beside WHHS?

Uncategorized

Why You Should Never Text and Drive

Destinations

The Anchorage Review

Schoolkids Greedy For Time To Eat Lunch