Film Festival in Greenville This Weekend

The film festival, cleverly named Reedy Reels, will take place this weekend only.

Courtesy of Reedy Reels Website

Courtesy of Reedy Reels Website

Courtesy of Reedy Reels Website

Lucy Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

Get Out. Heathers. Saw. Whiplash. (500) Days of Summer.

What do all of these movies have in common? They all premiered at Sundance, an annual film festival in Utah. Sundance is just one of many film festivals that take place worldwide each year. Film festivals give filmmakers a chance to showcase their works real people and to have their films reviewed by professional critics, according to howstuffworks.org. This weekend, there will be film festival held in Greenville, called the Reedy Reels Film Festival, and it is sure to feature some amazing films.

The festival will take place at the Peace Center from Friday November 2nd to Sunday November 4th. The festival is not just for revenue, of course. The festival’s website emphasizes that the purpose of the festival is to promote the appreciation of the art of film-making while generating support for independent filmmakers, especially in the Upstate. Exposure and inspiration is what Reedy Reels is all about. Senior Madison Lynch said, “I think it is a good thing because it gives filmmakers in this area a place to showcase their work. It creates exposure for an industry, which is not very big in Greenville. I also think it is a fun thing for the community as well as the artists and the people involved.”

The list of feature films is an exciting one. The categories are: Short Film, Student Film, Documentary, SC Local, Foreign, and Animation. There are a few promising synopses on the Reedy Reels website. One student film called Accomplice is about a girl that is being followed after a woman tells her that she killed a man. A local film called Expectant tells the story of a woman who wants a child to fill a void in her life and receives a child from the sky. Trouble With Wolves is a documentary about the wildlife conservation debate. In no name Maddox, a priest tries to help 14-year-old Charles Manson. 

The price for the festival is $12 per showing, or passes are available to watch all the films in one day on the website. Head to the Peace Center this weekend to catch one of these exciting movies and support local filmmakers.

About the Writer
Lucy Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

Lucy Garcia is Editor-in-Chief of The Herald and a senior at Wade Hampton. This is her third year reporting on staff and her second year as editor. When...