Some Colleges Allow Opting Out of Test Scores

Muhammad+Hunain+Mukri+%2810%29+and+Lauren+Shermersien+%2811%29+are+both+practicing+for+the+SAT.+Lauren+seems+to+be+enjoying+herself+while+Muhammad+looks+troubled.+

Muhammad Hunain Mukri (10) and Lauren Shermersien (11) are both practicing for the SAT. Lauren seems to be enjoying herself while Muhammad looks troubled.

Luna Riley

Luna Riley

Luna Riley

Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

Junior and senior year are all about making good grades and scoring high on the ACT and SAT. The last two years of high school are the most stressful and the pressure to get into college is the highest. From a young age, students take a number of tests that decide what types of classes they take, whether it is CP, Honors, or AP. These exams are said to be one of the most important parts of high school, so what happens if students are not good test takers? Some students could have good grades but are not good at taking tests. One bad score on an exam could stop a college from accepting a student. That’s why the new opt-out could help lots of students get into college. Sophomore Muhammad Hunain Mukri said, “Yes colleges should get rid of entrance exams because there is no point, and since you already passed high school you should already know enough to go into college.”

After the ACT in 2018, results showed that the number of people taking the tests dropped significantly. Students are more unlikely to take the test if they feel like they will not do well. According to a US News interview with Scott Montgomery, “That’s a generation of kids below where they were a generation ago. That’s a problem.” After these startling results, many colleges and students are wondering if these tests actually prove college readiness. More than one thousand colleges have adopted test-optional admission policies. Over the past five years, a growing number of public schools have joined this movement including Furman University, Old Dominion University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and many more. This growing movement will give the opportunity for students to opt-out of entrance exams. This could improve ACT and SAT scores for the student who choose to take the tests, and for the students who do not take the test, it will give them a better way of getting into college.

About the Writer
Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

Luna Riley is a junior and a first time staff member. She has always loved writing in her free time and decided to pursue this interest by joining The...