Play-Doh Soap: Fun to Play With, Not to Eat

Alivia+Hauber+%2810%29+was+taken+back+to+her+childhood+when+she+washed+her+hands+with+the+Play-Doh+soap.+

Alivia Hauber (10) was taken back to her childhood when she washed her hands with the Play-Doh soap.

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

This easy and creative DIY will make washing hands bring loads of fun. It is loved by all kids and can be loved by everyone with a few tweaks. Play-Doh soap will bring joy and cleanliness to all in a few simple steps. For this DIY, I needed liquid castile soap, a common brand is Dr. Bronner’s, baby oil, cornstarch, and soap dye.  

To begin I got all my materials set out: the ingredients, something to stir with, a bowl, and some measuring cups. In the one-half measuring cup, I poured the Bronner’s liquid castile soap into the bowl and added one-half cup of baby oil next. After all of the liquid was in the bowl, I added one-half cup of cornstarch, mixed it all together, then added another one-half cup of cornstarch. At this point in the mixing process, it became hard to stir, so I used my hands. It is smart to put some cornstarch on the hands before beginning to mix with them. Then I continued to add cornstarch until it got a play-doh like texture and was not sticky anymore. After I was done mixing, I took the Play-Doh out of the bowl and split it into three equal parts for three different colors. When dyeing the soap it is easiest to split it into smaller parts, dye each part, then add the small parts together. I used scented soap, but another option would be to use unscented soap and add different essential oils in after dyeing the soap.

This DIY took me all of five minutes and did not create a huge mess. The Play-Doh is also very useful and an easy way to get clean hands. Senior Jayla Hampton said, “I think it is a great idea especially for kids, to encourage them to wash their hands, plus who does not want something cooler than regular boring soap.” For kids, teens, and adults, Play-Doh soap will be the next big thing to star in the world of DIY.

About the Writer
Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Keigan Tucker is a sophomore at Wade Hampton and this is her first year on The Herald staff. In school, she is involved in many extracurriculars including...