The Hate U Give Review

The Hate U Give Review

Ms. Mangle’s Students of Excellence club had a recent outing to see The Hate U Give in theaters.

Amanda Wampler, Staff Reporter

The film adaptation of Angie Thomas’s YA novel is easily one of the most important films for our generation, and those before and after ours, to see. The Hate U Give focuses on Starr Carter who is portrayed by Amandla Stenberg. She lives in a poor black neighborhood while attending a mostly white prep school. These contrasting worlds cause her to act differently depending on where she is, and the balancing act she has created is seemingly perfect. However, when her life is shattered after witnessing the shooting of a childhood friend by a white police officer, Starr must decide who she is and what she needs to stand up for. The emotional themes that are exposed during this film, including police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement are shown in a relatable way- through the eyes of our generation.

The balance of light and dark themes create a film that is honest and impactful, but it leaves the viewers with a sense of hope. It forces the audience to recognize the issues that black families and kids face that are difficult to talk about. Starr witnessed her friend, Khalil, getting shot during a traffic stop, which is a sadly common story relating to police brutality. When she decided to stand up in front of the grand jury to tell what she experienced, that brought on the collision of her two worlds once divided, but she decided that standing up for her friend and all of her people was worth that consequence. Khalil may have had a shady past, but Starr wanted everyone to remember him for how he lived. The students at her school are happy to cut class to protest, even if their privilege blinds them from realizing the severity of what happened. Junior Gabby Harrison enjoyed the movie and she said, “I cried the whole time. It was an emotional movie but I am glad I saw it because it was really real and talked about important issues.”

The film inspires hope and empowerment while showing the audience the dark reality of our world today. Our generation is the one which will soon vote for change and equality in the next few years, and this movie shows the importance of activism in what people believe. The caring words of Starr’s father and the recent events in her life taught her that the hate given to children may hurt, but the love can be stronger. Even when things are bleak and equality and justice seem out of reach, it may not be as far as everyone may think. I would highly suggest this movie to everyone. It is a heart wrenching depiction of police brutality, but I think it is important for people to open their eyes to real events.