New Christmas Addictions

New Christmas Addictions

Lauren Champagne (11) was filled with joy when she opened her gift of Christmas crack.

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

This addicting recipe will be all the rage at Christmas parties. Christmas “crack” is an easy and delicious treat to add to the Christmas cookbook. The ingredients list includes pecans, unsalted butter, white sugar, kosher salt, vanilla extract, and milk chocolate chips. I started by lining about a medium sized jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Then, I coarsely chopped up the cup of pecans and spread them across the parchment in one layer. I set the pan aside.

Then it was time to make toffee. I put one cup (two sticks) of butter and one cup of white granulated sugar into a deep pot and brought it to a small boil on medium-low heat. I did not have unsalted butter so I just used regular butter. I stirred the whole time, which was extremely important because it can burn very easily. I also had a candy thermometer because when it reached 290-300 degrees or hard rock on the candy thermometer, I took the pot off of the heat and carefully added in one teaspoon of vanilla extract.

After adding in the vanilla extract, I carefully poured the toffee over the layer of pecans. I used a rubber spatula to make sure it spread evenly. It had to sit for about two minutes undisturbed before I put one cup of milk chocolate chips over the top. I covered the pan with foil and let it sit for five minutes. After the five minutes were up, I uncovered the pan and using the same rubber spatula I spread the now melted chocolate chips evenly across the top. I put the pan in the refrigerator for two hours so it could fully cool.

After about fifteen to twenty minutes, I took it out of the fridge and added green and red gel frosting drizzle to make it a little more festive. Two hours later, I took it out of the fridge and lifted the parchment with the toffee and chocolate on it out of the pan and placed in on the counter. Using a big knife, I cut it into chunks and then it was ready to be served and eaten. After hearing the words Christmas crack, senior Jennifer Khuu first responded with “Excuse me, what did you just say?” After I showed her a picture she said, “Oh my god, that looks so good.” It is super easy and makes events like cookie parties more fun when something unique is put on the table.

About the Writer
Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Keigan Tucker is a sophomore at Wade Hampton and this is her first year on The Herald staff. In school, she is involved in many extracurriculars including...