The Harry Potter Franchise is Not Slowing Down

Ellison+Allen+%289%29%2C+Natalie+Peart+%289%29%2C+Blake+Couch+%2810%29%2C+and+Gracie+Sandige+%2810%29+reminisce+about+their+favorite+Harry+Potter+memories.+

Ellison Allen (9), Natalie Peart (9), Blake Couch (10), and Gracie Sandige (10) reminisce about their favorite Harry Potter memories.

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

The Harry Potter franchise has met goals that many people thought impossible. The magic surrounding the wizarding world has inspired children, teens, and adults since 1997. The world was first introduced to Harry Potter through the book series created by J.K. Rowling, the mastermind to what is now one of the most popular stories in the world. Two decades after the release of the Harry Potter series, the franchise has sold 500 million books and made 7.7 billion dollars from book sales alone. In 2001, the first movie based on the book series, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, was released. Out of all the movies in the franchise, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2, is the highest grossing. It brought in over 1.3 billion dollars. While Harry Potter’s story may be over, J.K. Rowling is not done with the wizarding world. The new movies based on the book, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, has engaged old fans and interested new ones.

The book, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, was released in 2001. It later inspired a movie by the same name, starring the author of the book, Newt Scamander. The movies take place seventy years before Harry Potter’s story but feature many of the same spells, beasts, and a few characters as the original series. In the first movies, Newt finds himself in New York with his suitcase full of fantastic beasts, while in the second movie his journey takes place in Paris. J.K. Rowling plans to have Newt’s story span nineteen years in the wizarding world through five movies. The new movie has made 62.2 million dollars in its opening weekend but made 191 million dollars internationally, which may top the first movie in the series.

Movies and books are not the only things that keep the Harry Potter franchise alive. Costumes, Lego sets, and wands also rack in a substantial amount of money. Toys alone have brought in 7.3 billion dollars. There is currently a Harry Potter mobile game, a Lego set featuring characters from the original Harry Potter series and the Fantastic Beasts series, a play on Broadway, and a Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida, California, and Japan. The franchise is not slowing down anytime soon and is continuing to grow. As sophomore Caitlin O’Hare says, “Harry Potter continues to be popular because it is a story everyone can connect to and enjoy.” Harry Potter’s story may have ended, but the wizarding world will live on forever in the hearts of muggles and wizards alike.