Club Highlight: HOSA

Members+of+the+club%2C+Victoria+Ho+%2812%29+and+Jennifer+Ethridge+%2812%29%2C+enjoy+learning+about+different+types+of+health+care+careers.+

Club Highlight: HOSA

Members of the club, Victoria Ho (12) and Jennifer Ethridge (12), enjoy learning about different types of health care careers.

Emmylou Wilkes

Emmylou Wilkes

Emmylou Wilkes

Emmylou Wilkes, Staff Reporter

No matter the time, health care will always be a highly demanded service. All people will be in need of some form of health care at one point in their life, whether it be for physical or mental illness. This being said, there are hundreds of different kinds of health care careers out there. For anyone who one day sees themselves in a health care setting, no matter the age, there are numerous opportunities available to set them in the right direction. Wade Hampton has an opportunity of this sort available for high school students in 9th through 12th grade. Health Occupations Students of America, or HOSA, is a club found in high schools all across the nation.

The club, according to HOSA.org, “provides students with opportunities to develop leadership skills, character, good citizenship, and knowledge of health care careers.” The club includes activities such as fundraisers, skill labs, and service projects. The club also involves guest speakers, mainly those in health care professions. These guests often come in to discuss their profession so that club members can learn about various jobs in health care.

In the spring, members of the club can choose to participate in the HOSA state conference. This conference involves health care events, health professions events, emergency preparedness events, the list goes on. These events, or competitions, serve to determine members’ knowledge of certain concepts and fields in health care. There are over fifty competitive events at the conference. Some are individual, and some are with teams.

For those who know they are interested in pursuing a career in health care but are not quite sure of what that might entail, this club is perfect for them. Even for those who know exactly what they want to do, HOSA provides numerous opportunities for its members. Freshman Caroline Boroughs said, “HOSA is a great club because you get to learn all sorts of different things about health care, which is great because that’s something I’m interested in pursuing.” Not only do members get the opportunity to learn about different types of health care professions, but they also get to give back to the community through fundraising. Students of all kinds can gain something from this diverse club.