Who is Henry McMaster?

Who is Henry McMaster?

Tyler Corn (11) a widely known supporter of politics has gone all out during the election in favor of McMaster.

River Herron, Staff Reporter

Who is Henry McMaster? Our newly elected South Carolina Governor may not be so new. In fact, McMaster’s win over Democrat James Smith on the 6th is the result of decades of politically based practice and publicity in South Carolina. Previously serving two years as lieutenant governor, eight years as attorney general, four years as a United States attorney, and the Order of the Palmetto (the highest civilian honor in South Carolina) on his belt, he’s got more experience in South Carolina than most elected governors in the past. McMaster received his bachelor’s degree in history in 1969 and graduated with his JD degree in 1973 from the University of South Carolina School of Law, as a part of the South Carolina Law Review. If Law School wasn’t difficult enough to juggle, he served in the U.S. Army Reserves in the JAG Corps from 1969 to 1975 before receiving his honorable discharge. Wasting little to no time jumping into his political career McMaster worked as a Legislative Assistant to U.S Senator Strom Thurmond in Washington DC until 1974 and for the next 7 years, he continued to practice law as a federal prosecutor and in private. President Ronald Reagan’s first nomination was for McMaster to be appointed United States Attorney for the District of South Carolina in 1981. This was primarily based upon his successful investigations in the drug task force. McMaster himself created the program known as Operation Jackpot, dealing with marijuana smugglers and arresting more than 100 men and women for crimes related to drug trafficking.

“It’s comforting knowing someone given so much authority over something as big as a state knows it like the back of his hand,” said Joseph Tedrick (11) It’s clear McMaster is not slowing down any time soon. After his impressive 2017 performance as South Carolina governor resulting in 17,000 new jobs for the state, it’s clear that he was hungry for more. After all being the son of former state representative John Gregg McMaster politics are already solidified in your blood from the start. On the 6th McMaster racked up 57.9 percent of the vote in Greenville, meaning 101,866 voters were in favor of him. A crushing victory once again is the result of previous South Carolina love and plans for the future, here’s to new beginnings.

About the Writer
River Herron, Staff Reporter

River Herron is a junior at Wade Hampton High School who enjoys hanging out with his friends on weekends and taking pictures. He works part time at O.P...