Ralph Breaks The Internet Review

Roger+McCrary+%2810%29+poses+in+front+of+the+marquee+after+watching+the+new+movie%2C+Ralph+Breaks+The+Internet.+

Ralph Breaks The Internet Review

Roger McCrary (10) poses in front of the marquee after watching the new movie, Ralph Breaks The Internet.

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

In a world where the internet dominates most children’s free time, it is no surprise that a movie like Ralph Breaks The Internet has caught the attention of children and adults alike. This sequel to Wreck-It Ralph occurs nine years after the original movie and again stars friends Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope Von Schweetz. The video-game characters are introduced to a new world when a wi-fi router is plugged in at the arcade. The uncharted territory is full of cat videos and social media sites, but it also holds the key to all of their problems when Vanellope’s game, Sugar Rush, is at risk of being unplugged. John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman do a great job voicing Ralph and Vanellope. The dynamic duo’s relationship continues to be fun and exciting as they face the struggles of the internet together. Directors, Phil Johnston, and Rich Moore focused on making sure that Ralph Breaks the Internet truly expressed the spirit of the internet. This commitment allowed the sequel to include powerful characters, important life lessons, a variety of apps and games, and many references to the internet that both children and adults will enjoy.

Ralph Breaks The Internet introduced a variety of new characters, most importantly, some strong female characters like Shank, a talented racer and leader, and Yesss, the head of one of the most popular apps on the internet. These are new and intriguing characters that young girls can relate to and learn from. Although, the best part of this movie is the many internet references. Ralph and Vanellope explore eBay and Buzz Video (a variation on YouTube) while many brands like Google, Wikipedia, and Pinterest can be spotted in the background. Fans who have kept up with the trailers and teasers will be pleasantly surprised with how Disney incorporates the Disney Princesses and the number of other iconic brands that are a part of the Disney family. The movie provides viewers with plenty of jokes and puns that keeps the audience smiling and encourages them to look for more references to their favorite sites.

While the movie is full of positive aspects, the plot is slightly lacking compared to the first movie. Many storylines are going on throughout the movie and can cause it to seem rushed and underdeveloped. Fans of the first movie will also find that characters such as Fix-It Felix and Calhoun have much smaller parts. The movie mainly focuses on Ralph and Vanellope, along with appearances from new characters, Yesss and Shank. The plot is also pretty familiar, as it mixes with the plot of the original movie and some other recognizable storylines. While the plot may seem repetitive, it is presented in a new light and is mainly motivated by the main characters personal struggles, which teaches viewers a valuable lesson. Sophomore Roger McCrary says, “I would recommend this movie because it’s not only very entertaining, but also the message is very prevalent to people, especially those going through high school.” Ralph Breaks The Internet is fun, entertaining, comical, and teaches children and adults a great lesson about what it means to be a friend.

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs...