How to Stay Sharp Over Winter Break

How to Stay Sharp Over Winter Break

Hallie Ward (11) gives Ellie Calder (11) a present, while disregarding the piles of school work that needs to be done.

Amanda Wampler, Staff Reporter

Winter break is the time to escape all of the stress and worries of school, but sadly, it does not last forever. Within a mere two weeks, everyone will be back in school preparing for finals. Even though sitting around and relaxing may seem like the way to go, it is important to stay focused and ready for the upcoming finals.

Having a set schedule for winter break can help students feel more organized and help them feel as if they are not wasting their time. This schedule may entail time with friends and family, time at work, time to rest, and time to work on school work. Winter break is the best time to earn some extra money to save for the coming year, especially because most people spent a lot of money on holiday gifts. Along with working extra hours, it is important to get sleep. Avoid staying up late and sleeping into the afternoon because that can be difficult to fix when school starts again. It is best to go to sleep earlier and wake up around eight or nine to get a full night’s rest. All three of these factors play into an organized schedule that will help increase productivity during downtime. That is the best time to pull out a study guide or flashcards. That will keep the information that is learned before break fresh. “Finals are the most important thing of the semester. Procrastination isn’t the best thing to do right before your final because it is the one grade that can make or break you,” junior Hallie Ward states. Ward wants to get her work done early in the break so that she is not stressing about school the whole time.

Even during the excitement of the holidays and the fun of seeing friends and family, remember that life goes on after the break. Keeping the mind sharp can make the transition back into school life much easier.

About the Writer
Amanda Wampler, Staff Reporter

Amanda Wampler is a junior and a second year staff reporter for The Herald. She is also the editor of the yearbook. Born in Westerville, Ohio, she moved...