Greenville Students Launching into Their Futures

Annie Black (10) was upset she could not apply this year, but she is excited for next year.

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Launch Greenville is a program for juniors and seniors to participate in a student paid internship with local companies in the spring of 2019. This work-based learning opportunity is sponsored by the Greenville Chamber of Commerce. The goal of work-based learning programs is to provide internships, mentoring, simulations related to the workplace, and apprenticeships to complement classroom-based studies. This program has the goal of providing work learning experiences in all of the high-demand employment areas for businesses of all sizes in Greenville.

Greenville County Schools employs four work learning coordinators. The coordinators work with businesses in a variety of occupational fields to provide students with career-based opportunities. The coordinators also match interns with job opportunities based on the student’s interest and or the courses they have taken. Each student has a different and unique experience which helps them further explore careers they are interested in. Many people are interested in the program because it is a paid internship, most businesses pay the intern nine to ten dollars hourly. Also, because it is a paid internship, the students will be covered as employees under the company’s liability insurance or workers compensation.

Wade Hampton students, along with other Greenville County schools, have been given the opportunity to apply for the Launch Greenville Program for the spring of 2019. This program will help further their education and help them choose a career. Senior Ella McCall said, “I think it is super helpful because it gives them an idea of the field they are interested in and allows them to experience real workplace situations as well as determine if the internship is what they would like to pursue in the future.” Being paid through this internship is just one of the many benefits to come with the program. The deadline for applications is December 15th, then after all the applications are received the interview process begins on February 1st. Juniors and seniors can apply online on Launch Greenville’s website.

About the Writer
Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Keigan Tucker is a sophomore at Wade Hampton and this is her first year on The Herald staff. In school, she is involved in many extracurriculars including...