Ring Season: Clemson Wins 2019 National Football Championship

%28From+left+to+right%29+Kendall+Joseph%2C+Adam+Choice%2C+and+Trevor+Lawrence+celebrate+the+teams+historic+win.+

(From left to right) Kendall Joseph, Adam Choice, and Trevor Lawrence celebrate the teams historic win.

River Herron, Staff Reporter

The College Football Playoff National Championship of 2019 was definitely one to remember. For the four straight seasons, either Alabama or Clemson has made it to the National Championship and the two teams went head-to-head for the third time this year. Both teams performed exceptionally with multiple shutdowns throughout the season where the team walked off of the field with double digits on the scoreboard and their opponents with a single digit. Both teams are incredibly talented and strong in many areas, and that is what made this championship so entertaining. Unlike most seasons, Alabama’s powerful defense was their worst ranked defense since 2014. Neither team has faced off against another this season with the strength and well-rounded offense and defense of the opposite teams. Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa has been named one of college football’s “most dangerous weapons.” With the team’s impressive quarterback coming back from injury, it makes it hard to tell whether or not Alabama will perform to their peak ability for the national championships.

The final showdown was one of Clemson’s greatest performances to date against a team of that caliber. The hopes of an incredible 15-0 season were present in every Clemson Tiger fan as Clemson snagged an interception in the first two minutes and scored a touchdown. The last team to accomplish such a goal was Yale in the 1890s. Clemson lacked focus on defense and speed in the first quarter but quickly regained confidence shortly after the start of the 2nd. Throughout the game, Clemson began to focus less on offense and more on balancing both offense and defense. Viewers who pulled for Alabama had high hopes of Tagovailoa’s success, but their hopes began to fade over time. Junior Tyler Corn says that this was caused by “Tua being rushed back in too early after experimental surgery.” After the fifteen minute mark, the game was taken by Clemson and not a single point had been scored in the hands of Alabama yet. 30 more points and 3 touchdowns later, Clemson had done it, a perfect 15-0 season defeating their arch-rivals.

About the Writer
River Herron, Staff Reporter

River Herron is a junior at Wade Hampton High School who enjoys hanging out with his friends on weekends and taking pictures. He works part time at O.P...