Break The Cycle of Boring Classes

Clemson+University+offers+courses+focused+on+budget+traveling+and+tailgating+while+USC+gives+students+the+option+to+take+a+class+centered+around+the+art+of+manga+and+anime.+

Break The Cycle of Boring Classes

Clemson University offers courses focused on budget traveling and tailgating while USC gives students the option to take a class centered around the art of manga and anime.

via Getty Images and the Jakarta Post, and

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

For many students, high school can be fairly plain and boring. (Didn’t take off points for this one, but not ALL people think school is boring and plain) Students spend hours sitting in class listening to a teacher talk. It can become an unexciting cycle of lessons, quizzes, and tests. However, this cycle does not have to continue after high school. Despite what many people think, college is not just old professors and long lectures. There are plenty of exciting classes offered at colleges in South Carolina that give students a chance to receive credit and learn about topics that interest them.

High school classes limit students to a basic set of mostly academically focused classes. Many of the topics cover important information for student’s future careers but fall short when it comes to their use in the real world. Students also have trouble engaging in classes that do not match their interests. That problem is solved in college, where there are plenty of academic classes, but also a variety of courses that are fascinating and provide students with information that they can use throughout their life. Greenville Technical College offers a class on entrepreneurship where students learn how to start their own business and how to manage it so that they are successful in the future. Anderson University students can take a class covering the psychology of music. In this class, students learn about the brain’s and society’s role in the perception of music. Meanwhile, Clemson offers a budget travel class that helps anyone reach their dream destination with the help of clever traveling tips and tricks.

Many classes give students a chance to learn something that they will use throughout their life, but some colleges decided to offer classes that are enjoyable and get students excited about going to school every day. With so many different personalities in one place, it is no wonder that interesting classes like beginning belly dancing attract college students. USC also caters for football lovers with courses focusing on the art of tailgating and the influence of Super Bowl commercials. They also have a course surrounding the advanced study of manga and anime for anyone interested in the art.   

High school limits teenagers to select classes covering topics that many would call boring, but college offers them an opportunity to study things that they love. There are a variety of classes that are interesting and can be used throughout their adult life. It may help people “find something they are good at that they did not know they would be,” as sophomore Caitlin O’Hare stated. College gives students an opportunity to become independent, break out of the cycle, and discover their passion.

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs...