Back to the Mats: Wrestling Update

Jaheim+Scott+%2811%29+got+in+his+stance+at+the+start+of+his+match+at+one+of+the+wrestling+meets+

Back to the Mats: Wrestling Update

Jaheim Scott (11) got in his stance at the start of his match at one of the wrestling meets

Isabella Ortiz

Isabella Ortiz

Isabella Ortiz

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Six sophomores, six seniors, seven freshmen, and seven juniors all work towards the same goal during the wrestling season: to win their matches at the meets. Wrestling is a very intense sport, and anyone who wants to play needs to have strength, endurance, and most of all determination. A match can be won by either pinning the opponent or outscoring them. While it is more of an individual sport, the boys act just like any other team when they are together and make sure to support everyone in the meet.  

Wade Hampton’s wrestling program has done well so far this season. The twenty-six boys range in weight classes from 113 pounds to 220 pounds. On November 26th, they had their opening meet at Pickens Quad; it ended up being a score of 1-1. At the Woodmont Invitational, they had a total of five finishers at the end. The Liberty Tri-Meet ended in a score of 2-0 and the WHHS Duals ended in them placing at seven with a score of 2-3. They started off the new year with the Woodruff Duals scoring 2-3, then 0-2 in the Region Duals at Westside. There was another region dual which took place at Wade Hampton, and the Generals finished 0-2 again. Finally, in the Travelers Rest Tournaments they had two of their boys finish.

So far, the wrestling team has persevered through losses and won many matches. With only four more meets left in the season, the boys are going to have to give it their all in order to bring their record up. Senior Dalton Hadley said, “The season has been good so far, everyone just needs to wrestle ‘til the whistle.”