What Does the Minimum Wage Raise Mean for Teenagers?

Full House Sportzaria, a privately owned business (photo courtesy of Ellen Oddo)

Ellen Oddo

Ellen Oddo

Ellen Oddo

Nigel Ice, Staff Reporter

Whether it is at a pizza place or Discount Tire, most students have a job. With a job comes a check; nobody gets a job to donate their free time to a random employer out of the kindness of their heart (that is called charity work). Most jobs start their employees’ wages out at minimum wage, which is $7.25 in the United States right now. Everyone who has a job knows that minimum wage is near impossible to live off of, especially while balancing school and a social life. There are some exceptions. Amazon, for example, recently raised the company’s minimum wage to a whole $15 an hour. After this amazing raise that more than doubled the original pay, Amazon has urged the federal government to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour for everyone in the country.

Small, private businesses usually do not start their employees at minimum wage, but at a higher rate. For example, a dishwasher at Full House Sportzaria in Simpsonville starts their dishwashers at $8 an hour and is more than willing to pay more if the employee shows they deserve it. The owner of Full House Sportzaria and Tony’s Pizza, Tony Oddo, had the following to say about running a business of his own and about the wage increase, “I love running these places, but it is very, very stressful. I have to deal with competition, bad attitude, and so much more, but it’s worth it. And I’d love to be able to pay everyone as much as possible as long as we can afford to. A gradual increase is obviously what’s most likely gonna happen if the raise is approved and having that gradual increase will help us figure out how to best prepare for that raise.” In the end, students work to make money, and if there is a possibility that they could get more, teenagers will likely support the minimum wage.