New Head Football Coach Has Been Revealed

Travis+Miller+finalizes+his+speech+on+the+15th+about+his+plans+for+the+future+of+Wade+Hampton+football.++

Travis Miller finalizes his speech on the 15th about his plans for the future of Wade Hampton football.

River Herron, Staff Reporter

It seems like everyone is talking about former Wade Hampton head football coach Marc Klatt’s resignation and what he did for the team. A new coach of the varsity football team has been hired, but this new coach may not be as fresh to Wade Hampton’s football department as some think. Travis Miller has an ace up his sleeve with previous involvement in the program in the ’90s. Miller was announced as the new head coach in the main hallway on the January 15th. He got the chance to meet the players and give a speech about his plans for the future of the team. He even stopped for a quick interview with Go Upstate where he talks about his first impression of the school. “The kids seem really excited, which is great to see. The parents seem supportive and excited. Hopefully, we can get off on a great foot and do some good things early… Some of the same people are there, some familiar faces,” he says.

Miller wants to focus on relationships with the players and working to build trust. “Love and trust” is the motto he goes by when coaching and the one he will abide by that as the next season approaches. Our newcomer has an extensive variety of leadership under his belt with fifteen years of coaching football, basketball, and boys track on his belt, with six of those years dedicated to football with an average of 30 points per game and a state title game. Miller wants to focus the team more offensively and to praise what’s already good and improve what needs adjustment. Junior Kwan Burton says, “It’s vital that we put points on the board to win, and he has the resume that shows he knows how to score the ball. With that being said, I am looking forward to the new beginning and new challenges that we will face this season. I am beyond excited to play under Coach Miller.”

About the Writer
River Herron, Staff Reporter

River Herron is a junior at Wade Hampton High School who enjoys hanging out with his friends on weekends and taking pictures. He works part time at O.P...