No Fish Were Harmed In the Making of These Light Bulb Aquariums

Caitlin+Ohare+%2810%29+and+Morgan+Rhodes+%2810%29+are+enjoying+their+new+light+bulb+aquariums.+

Caitlin Ohare (10) and Morgan Rhodes (10) are enjoying their new light bulb aquariums.

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Recently, I was in search of some new decorations to spice up my room. So I took my search to the internet and entered one world: DIY. I came across some interesting things but when I stumbled upon this particular DIY, I knew it was the one for me. I decided to take on the challenge and make my own DIY light bulb aquarium. At first, I was confused. How could a fish survive in a light bulb? However, the point of the light bulb aquarium is simply decoration, not for fish to live in it. Junior Grace Brackett said, “I think they are super creative and I would love to have them around my room. I would definitely love to try this at home.”

The first thing I did was pick up my supplies, and for this, I went to the Dollar Tree. They had some good selections for this project that did not cost a lot. I ended up getting sand, two different colors of rocks, two different types of shells, small popsicle sticks, and black paint. For the light bulb part, I had some used ones at home and I decided to use two of them.

Here is what I needed for the project:

2 light bulbs

1 jar of light colored shells

1 jar of dark-colored shells

1 bag of black sand

Blue and white rocks

Twine

Superglue/silicon paste

Before I started to assemble the light bulb, I cleaned the rocks off so that they did not dye the water in the end. This next part is tricky and I needed some help, I had to take off the bottom of the lightbulb and empty the inside of it. For better directions on emptying the lightbulb, I went to the Instructables website. I cleaned out the bulb, then began. I needed something for the base so that the light bulb would not roll. The shells came in these really cute little jars, so I took the shells out, painted the inside of the jar black and let it dry. Now onto the bulb, I had to use a funnel to get the stuff inside and the first thing that went in was the sand. Then the colored rocks, and then the shells. The last thing I put in was the water. To close off the tops I used the cork that came with the shell jars. To secure the cork in place I used silicone paste that will dry and seal, it is also waterproof so the aquarium will not leak. By the end of the DIY, I changed my mind on what I wanted to use as a stand. I was originally going to make something with the popsicle sticks but then decided I would use the empty shell jars that I painted before. I used Gorilla Glue to place the light bulb on the top of the jar and slightly tilted it. To add to it, I put just a little more twine on the top of the light bulb. This DIY took a lot of time and a little extra help but in the end, it was all worth it because the product is very pretty. There are many different versions and the outcome can vary based on what is put into the jars, but I was successful in my attempt to recreate what I saw online.

About the Writer
Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Keigan Tucker is a sophomore at Wade Hampton and this is her first year on The Herald staff. In school, she is involved in many extracurriculars including...