Zion Williamson’s Origin is Close to Home

Kacky Haswell (11) sports her Duke shirt while watching the game against Syracuse.

River Herron, Staff Reporter

Pennsylvania made Kobe Bryant, Texas made Jimmy Butler, Ohio made Steph Curry and LeBron James, and now it’s time for South Carolina to be proud of their very own prodigy: Zion Williamson. Finally, South Carolina has a potential golden child in the NBA, with no question on whether or not he’ll make it in. Williamson is predicted to be the first overall pick of the 2019 NBA draft. His time with the Duke Blue Devils brought him the award of South Carolina Mr. Basketball for his performance and leading his team to three consecutive state championships. Williamson’s senior year of high school and freshman year of college is really what exploded his performance and exposure to the public eye. His exceptional ability to dunk and play almost any position had peers comparing him to players of LeBron James’ and Micheal Jordan’s rank.

But all glorious achievements come with humble beginnings. At the age of nine, Zion began waking up at 5:00 a.m. to train for his basketball leagues in which he would play opponents sometimes a whole four years older than him. “Stick to it till you do it,” Junior Johnny Nguyen always says when it comes to working hard at things, which perfectly applies to Williamson’s career. As time went on and he moved up on the charts he attracted the attention of pop culture superstars like Drake, who wore his jersey in an Instagram post. From then on, high school brought Zion strength and height as far as physicality goes, but mentally he displayed dedication. Numerous awards later Zion has proved himself to be one of the best players of his generation and there’s nothing that can stop him or slow him down on his pathway to the NBA.

About the Writer
River Herron, Staff Reporter

River Herron is a junior at Wade Hampton High School who enjoys hanging out with his friends on weekends and taking pictures. He works part time at O.P...